ARIES Program
Public Information Site
 
 
 
 

ARIES Documents -- Meetings Archive

ARIES Conference Call, 20 August 2002

Documented by L. Waganer


Participants:
(ANL) Hassanein
(Boeing) Waganer
(DOE) -
(FPA) -
(GA) Petzoldt
(GT) Abdel-Khalik
(INEEL) -
(LBL) Debonnel
(LLNL) Reyes
(MIT) -
(MRC) Welch
(NRL) -
(PPPL) Heitzenroeder
(RPI) Steiner
(SNL) Olson
(UCSD) Raffray, Tillack, Sze, Wang
(UW) El-Guebaly, Haynes

Administrative

Farrokh Najmabadi affirmed the next project meeting would be hosted by PPPL. The meeting would be on October 2 (a full day) through October 4 (morning only). The meeting will commence with the wrap-up of the current IFE thick wall analyses. The latter half of the meeting will be discussion of the current status of compact stellarator efforts and planning of the ARIES efforts in that area.

It was decided to hold the next ARIES conference call on 17 September (Tuesday). Les Waganer obtained a phone number of 314-232-8169 for the call.

Status of Action Items:

It was decided it is important to review the Action Items on the conference call to determine their status and if they can be completed by the next meeting. Each of the Action Items was addressed below.

  1. (P. Sharpe) Perform aerosol analysis on thin liquid wall configuration with Pb and FLiBe and thick liquid wall configuration with FLiBe
    • Consult with W. Meier or C. Debonnel for setting appropriate model geometry for thick liquid wall and
    • Consult with R. Raffray to obtain aerosol source figures

    Rene Raffray noted Phil Sharpe is working to obtain the Pb source term. The status of the Flibe source term is unknown. Rene will check with Phil on this item.

  2. (A. Hassanein) Assess effect of neutron heat deposition in thick liquid wall on possible shock wave formation and jet disintegration
    • Consult with W. Meier or C. Debonnel for setting appropriate model geometry

    Ahmed is working on this assessment for the thick liquid wall concerning aerosol formation and source term. The data is available to be transmitted to Phil Sharpe. It was recommended a phone call be set up the week of 26 August between Tillack, Raffray, Sharpe, and Hassanein.

  3. (D. K. Sze, M. Billone) Assess possibility of FLiBe decomposition due to photon interaction
  4. According to Per Peterson, the concern is the ingress of oxygen that combines with (elements of?) FLiBe. Concern was also voiced as to the disassociation of the FLiBe molecules and their subsequent recombinations in different ones. Debonnel mentioned that the usual FLiBe molecules would recombine if the gas is dense enough for the kinetics rates to be high. At low densities, the rates might be too low, due to a smaller number of collisions, and some different chemical species may combine preferentially. Craig Olson said this might be verified on the Z-Experiment.

  5. (I. Sviatoslavsky) Assess flow bypass and recycling based on flow volume flow rate and power cycle requirements. Assess requirements and possible means of filtering to remove debris and other impurities that could clog the nozzles
  6. Dai-Kai Sze said he would shortly see Igor at an APEX meeting and would confer with him.

  7. (M. Billone, supported by D. K. Sze) Assess choice of structural material and nozzle material including performance (temperature limits), lifetime and possible corrosion products
  8. Dai-Kai Sze reported at the July meeting that using 304SS would result in high-level waste even if it were rated as life of plant. However this was disputed by (Latkowski?) as the thicker FLiBe protective layer would keep the 304SS from being high-level waste. It was suggested Mike Billone could provide data on both 304SS and advanced, low activation ferritic steel from MFE experience to the IFE community for evaluation. Rene suggested we reach a decision on the structural material. Rene and Dai-Kai will talk to Mike Billone to reach a consensus and decision.

  9. (S. Abdel-Khalik) Develop design tables for tangential injection based on detachment and unacceptable droplet ejection
  10. His group is compiling the design data tables for tangential injection on flat, inverted plates for the thin-liquid wall approach. GT is looking at flow around beam tubes and the results are quite discouraging. Les Waganer suggested before presenting such results, try experiments with streamlines at the leading and trailing edges to smoothly channel flow around the openings.

  11. (J. Latkowski) Replace jet arrays by solid shield at the wall and compare shielding results
  12. Jeff Latkowski reported he has been working on this topic and will report his results at the upcoming meeting.

  13. (J. Latkowski) (Conduct) Sensitivity analyses on the effect of off-centered micro-explosion on shielding effectiveness and on possible exposition of solid regions to direct neutron line of sight
  14. Jeff Latkowski reported he has been working on this topic and will report his results at the upcoming meeting.

  15. (C. Olson, S. Yu and C. Debonnel) Determine driver (heavy ion beam) requirement for acceptable FLiBe vapor pressure, aerosol size and number density, and condensation film thickness in the beamline for different driver modes
  16. Craig Olson reported he has been working on this topic and will report his results at the upcoming meeting.

  17. (R. Petzoldt, D. Goodin) Determine ID target requirements for FLiBe aerosol size and number density
    • Optical properties for FLiBe??

    Ron Petzoldt noted that optical properties are not available for Flibe. J. A. Woollam Inc. could measure the optical properties of Flibe if hazardous materials issues can be overcome and we can send them a properly prepared sample. Dai-Kai Sze will contact Dave Petti about providing such a sample.

  18. (L. Waganer, W. Meier) Determine impact of lifetime of structural material on system availability
  19. Les Waganer said nothing has been accomplished, but he planned to obtain prior documented procedures and analysis for the HYLIFE availability. Also, the structural material and its lifetime need to be established (or estimated). Les is hoping to have something to report at the meeting.

  20. (M. Zaghloul, R. Raffray) Run ABLATOR for FLiBe and Pb cases to confirm simple modeling results and obtain better understanding of any integrated effect
  21. Rene reported that this action item is being worked. Properties of applicable boiling materials are being researched along with high temperature FLiBe.

  22. (M. Zaghloul, D. K. Sze and R. Raffray) Follow up on final determination of FLiBe properties
  23. Ditto, René reported that this action item is being worked. Properties of applicable boiling materials are being researched along with high temperature FLiBe.

  24. (L. El-Guebaly) (Compare) Recycling versus one-shot scenario
  25. Laila is currently analyzing the thick-wall recycling versus the one-shot scenario and will present her results and conclusions at the upcoming project meeting.

  26. (S. Yu) Clarify beam steering capability for heavy ion beam
  27. Simon Yu was not on the call, but [someone] affirmed beam steering was relatively easy to accomplish on a single beam. It becomes more difficult to steer all the beams in a coordinated manner to the predicted positions of the moving targets.

  28. (S. Yu/F. Najmabadi) Assess possibility of using normal conducting final focus magnet
  29. Neither Simon Yu nor Farrokh Najmabadi was on the conference call and no status was provided.

Status of Technical Areas

Systems Analysis

No status was provided.

Chamber Engineering

Beam Propagation - Dale Welch is analyzing the discharge transport mode of the self-pinch mode for beam propagation.

Craig Olson is working on the self-pinch equilibria for the beam transport.

Chamber Response - Don Haynes intends to prepare several viewgraphs for the ARIES web site on the Bucky results for small radius (wetted-wall?) chambers.

Amed Hassanein said he would present his results on the thick wall approach at the upcoming meeting.

Christophe Debonnel said he documented the beam tube modeling he presented at the last ARIES meeting. He has been working on updating his simulations for the new point design.

Liquid Experiments -Said Abdel-Khalik reiterated that GT is continuing to conduct and analyze experiments on the thin-wall protection approach. They are also assessing what to analyze and experimentally model on the thick-liquid wall approach.

Target Fabrication and Injection/Tracking

Ron Petzoldt reported that processes and models are being defined for the high-capacity, HI target commercial facility. Also, the injector experimental test facility continues to progress toward completion.

Magnet Systems Design and Analysis

Phil Heitzenroeder said they are working at a low level while responding to requests from Per Peterson on the maintainability and alignment of the final focus sections of the beamlines. He did mention that a reduction in the number of beamlines is being considered to ease the beamline geometry constraints.

Safety

Susanna Reyes reported that there are no new results to report at this time.

Chamber Nuclear Analysis

Laila El-Guebaly said that her analysis is progressing and results will be reported at the meeting.