TO: PULSAR Study Team DATE: 6 Sept 1994

FROM: L. Waganer

SUBJECT: STARLITE Conference Call Minutes, Wednesday, Aug 31, 1994

PARTICIPANTS (by organization): Sze, Ehst, Dean, Wong, Herring, McCarthy, Bathke, Waganer, Bromberg, Kessel, Flynn, Steiner, Tillack, Najmabadi, Mau, El-Guebaly

ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES

The 17 Aug Conference Call minutes were adopted with Tom Flynn's noted change that the RAMI data was from the gas-cooled, COMBINED cycle plants.

Waganer reminded the team to contact Gale Stevens (gstevens@pppl.gov) regarding arrangements for the 14-16 Sept STARLITE project meeting. Waganer and Najmabadi will shortly issue an agenda -- see topics to be discussed later in these minutes. The meeting will be held at the PPPL-C Site. The Wed Physics meeting will be held in 2nd floor DOE Conference Room whereas the Thurs and Fri meetings will be held at the Gottlieb Auditorium. Badges will be issued at the guard gate.

All STARLITE organizations should forward F. Najmabadi updated e-mail rosters for the TEAM, EXEC, and INFO lists. Raytheon representatives should obtain Internet addresses ASAP to expedite communication. Bathke expressed dismay regarding transmittal of e-mail messages with enclosures. People who use the Eudora e-mail program typically employ a BinHix attachment format that is automatically decoded by other Eudora users or manually decoded with appropriate software. Waganer is looking into inexpensive and easy methods for all team members to retain the ability to transmit attachments and still keep the functionality of the attached document. This would be an advantage because the majority of the fusion community is using the Eudora e-mail software (ITER JCT/USHT and the lab/industrial team, TPX project and industrial team, and the US ITER Industrial Consortium, and most universities and national laboratories.) But for now, we should convert attachments as plain text and copy into the body of the message, convert the image to a PostScript file and store it in the archives, or fax the image.

Mike Billone of ANL and John Davis of MDA will support the STARLITE team in the materials area and serve as liaison with the materials community. Mark Tillack will be joining the STARLITE team in November as a member of the UCSD staff.

F. Najmabadi encouraged the publishing of papers in technical symposiums and journals to inform the community of our work and seek consensus. All contributed papers should be forwarded to Project Management for approval. There is also an upcoming US/Japanese workshop to be held in Japan in the March-April 1995 timeframe that our team may want to support. Contributions from other countries are expected.

The next conference call will be not be held due to the upcoming project meeting.

PULSAR REPORT STATUS

C. Bathke reported no progress on the Systems Analysis chapter due to attendance at the recent SOFT conference. He reported a high level of interest in our PULSAR and ARIES II-IV results. The EC presented results on a pulsed power plant study, that indicated minimal differences between pulsed and steady-state plants. However, they had not considered the effects of magnet fatigue. They also employed an inexpensive thermal energy storage system. The Japanese are designing the JT60-SU facility and are using many of the results and recommendations from ARIES and other reactor studies to formulate research plans and facility designs.

L. Bromberg reported that he has transmitted to Najmabadi a disk containing a portion of the figures for the Magnet chapter. If acceptable, the remainder will be scanned and transmitted to Najmabadi.

Dai-Kai Sze has been finalizing Reactor Engineering chapter sections and will forward the combined markup to Najmabadi next week.

F. Najmabadi noted that for a limited time he can still accept comments and corrections to ARIES-II & -IV report sections.

DISCUSSION of STARLITE PROGRAM PLANS

None reported.

STARLITE PROJECT STATUS

Action Items:

[AI#3] MHTGR Design Specifications and the ALWR Policy and Summary of Top-Tier Requirements were distributed to STARLITE team. A few more team members requested copies. F. Najmabadi recommended these documents for evaluation, but questioned the basis of the ALWR quoted COE of 73 mill/kwhr. We should understand how these estimates are developed and compared to the ORNL data (Ref [AI#4]).

[AI#9] C. Wong distributed his preliminary WBS to the team for review and comment.

Task Results:

Task 1 - F. Najmabadi is incorporating many of the ideas from the MHTGR and ALWR documents into his draft of the DEMO mission and goals - it will be issued on Friday 9/2 for internal STARLITE review. Please send comments for incorporation.

Task 3. - Tom Flynn reported that TFTR is planning to offer irradiated materials and components for evaluation and testing after TFTR is dismantled and decommissioned. Since there will be additional TFTR testing, the material will not be available until Sept 95. Tom Flynn has volunteered to be the contact point for all STARLITE organizations who wish to take this opportunity. No specific plan or monies need be defined at this point, just an expression of interest in particular material or hardware.

Task 4. - D. Steiner reviewed that Bill Dove would be ready to give a report on the status of the OFE strategy paper for licensing of future fusion facilities. John DeLooper of PPPL will review the Task on Fusion Safety Standard. Don also noted that G. Hofer had completed the second draft of the likely NRC jurisdiction in fusion and was almost finished with the review of the NRC regulations that may apply to fusion.

S. Herring is finishing sections to the fusion safety standard, specifically in the radiological, chemical, and magnetic areas. He is also using a clean sheet approach to decommissioning and site cleanup regulations.

C. Wong and F. Najmabadi reported discussions with representatives from Gas Cooled Reactor Association and General Atomics regarding the outline and the task of generating a Fusion Licensing Strategy Paper. They talked about the evolution of fission licensing facilities with active safety systems. They also discussed the simpler approach being proposed by the HTGR proponents that minimizes the need for safety systems, uses a probabilistic risk approach and has improved theory and software support. F. Silady of GA has put together an outline on the clean sheet approach of the safety and licensing tasks to be accomplished in the STARLITE program. C. Wong indicated F. Silady may not come to the PPPL meeting due to funding limitations, unless other safety activities will require his presence.

Task 5A. - C. Kessel and D. Ehst are organizing the topics and speakers for the STARLITE physics meeting. In the morning, representatives from PPPL will present the approaches and physics constraints that would likely apply to DEMO facility. In the afternoon, proposed figures-of-merit will be reviewed, performance goals adopted, and experimental results from prior fusion facilities will be extrapolated into the DEMO regime.

F. Najmabadi also noted that this type precursor meeting is meant to be a general forum to exchange information with a broader segment of the fusion community.

Task 5B - D.K. Sze reported minimal work on the DEMO as the Stellerator effort is being emphasized at this time. He is looking at neutron wall loading limits as applied to materials and design concepts similar to the ARIES and PULSAR configurations and design concepts. L. El-Guebaly is assessing the merits of various blanket and shield materials and configurations including lithium, helium, and organic coolants, vanadium and SiC blanket structural materials, various steel shield structural materials and miscellaneous shielding materials including hydrides. D-K Sze and C. Wong are concerned about temperature excursions that may cause decomposition of the organic coolants and the hydrides.

5C - F. Najmabadi and C. Wong agreed to send S. Rosen, the Chairman of STARLITE Utility Advisory Committee, the Layout and Schematic presentation that was prepared for the last UAC meeting.

5D.- C. Wong asked the STARLITE team to review the developed DEMO WBS list for completeness and to determine those components judged to be critical to the development of fusion. Feedback to C. Wong is needed by 7 Sept to prepare for the upcoming meeting.

TENTATIVE TOPICS TO BE COVERED AT UPCOMING STARLITE MEETING

Thursday:

Najmabadi - Discuss Mission, Reqmts, and Goals (incl MHTGR and ALWR rqmts)

Dean - Discuss "Pathways to Commercial Power"

Ron Blanken - Report on economic assessment of Tokamak plants

Waganer - Present Canadian CANDU DEMO experience

Bathke - Report on preliminary Reverse Shear System Code results

Miller - Propose Economic Figure of Merit Formulation for DEMO

Flynn - Report on gas-cooled combined cycle RAMI data

Flynn - Discuss extrapolation of experimental data to commercial applications

Wong - Present preliminary WBS and discuss development of Critical Issues

Sze, et al - Present approaches and results on Blanket and Shield

Team - Report on Action Item Results

Jardin - Review findings and recommendations from Physics Meeting

Friday Morning:

Bromberg, Ehst - Propose magnet design and improved maintenance approach

Steiner, Dove,

Herring, Wong, et al - Report on Safety and Licensing tasks