TO: PULSAR Study Team

DATE: Nov 23, 1994

FROM: L. Waganer

SUBJECT: Starlite Conference Call Minutes, Wednesday, 16 November 1994

PARTICIPANTS (by organization): Sze, Ehst, Wong, Sager, Herring, McCarthy, Bathke, Waganer, Jardin, Hofer, Flynn, Steiner, Miller, Najmabadi, Mau, El-Guebaly

ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES

The 26 Oct conference call minutes as transmitted 11/4/94 were adopted with no changes.

The ARIES mail router and archive system at UCSD is fully operational now thanks to F. Najmabadi and M. Tillack. ARIES archive is now accessible through ARIES.ucsd.edu with prior user ID and password (see Najmabadi note).

F. Najmabadi is now full time at UCSD and can be reached at the addresses listed in the project list.

The next Starlite meeting dates are Dec 7 through 9, 1994 at UCSD. The Starlite meeting will start at 1:00 pm on Wed. Dec 7 and conclude at noon Friday Dec 9. C. Wong and F. Najmabadi are working on an agenda for the "town meeting [ONLY] for the morning of 12/7 to include edge physics and engineering of in-vessel components and advanced plasma physics relevant to Demo. Waganer is pulling together the overall meeting agenda (first a rough draft to block out times and topics and then a more detailed version after the Thanksgiving holidays.) [Transmitted 11/22/94] The Engineering Group is planning on a dinner meeting on the evening of Dec 6 to discuss plans and topics relevant to Demo engineering.

M. Tillack discussed his progress toward establishing a World Wide Web server to store Starlite project records and data. Access will be limited to Starlite team personnel for the project working data. Another home page will be provided for dissemination of public information. M. Tillack will be publishing information on the Starlite server and how to access the Home Page. Access to public utilities will be provided to facilitate data transfer and retrieval. The ARIES archive will be retained for documentation purposes.

F. Najmabadi asked the group to be prepared to write quarterly reports on the progress of the Starlite project. The report will be organized by task and be edited by the task leaders - Physics (Najmabadi), Engineering (Tillack), Systems (Miller). There will also be a annual report summarizing yearly progress.

Action Items - L. Waganer asked all team personnel to review their relevant Action Items so their progress can be reported at the December Meeting.

The next conference call will be on November 30 @ 11:30 am. [Mark, will you begin the call if I am not back from a trip? I am scheduled to land at 10:30 am.]

Starlite PROJECT STATUS

Task Results:

Task 1 - Najmabadi is in the process of updating the Mission and Goals for review and expects a copy to be distributed prior to the next meeting. Work is proceeding on Critical Item Identification and Engineering assessments based upon the 1 Aug draft.

Task 2. - R. Miller reported he is documenting the existing ARIES economic evaluation process and database. He noted that in comparing with other economic assessment, his work is very similar and minimal changes are required. Gilbert Phillips of CFFTP?? has volunteered to help provide data to the Starlite economic database and analysis tool. Ron also mentioned a Solar Demo plant reported a COE at 55 mills/kwh and he will distribute more detailed information when available.

Task 3 - T. Flynn reported he has been working on several items to be reported at the next meeting.

- Current status of power plant availability and observed trends

- Review of data obtained from NARC, North American Reliability Council

- Recommendation concerning Supercritical Steam Cycle on Demo

- Discussion of 1992 Power Policy Bill sponsored by B. Johnson

- Discuss availability of Reliability and Availability Databases

Task 4. - D. Steiner noted that most of the effort has been on the Strategy Paper which is in review. He will distribute the newest draft at the next project meeting. If this process is successful, we may be asked to help support the licensing of ITER in the US. Greg Hofer has the 3rd draft of the NRC licensing report in review. The jurisdiction and the NRC regulation reports remain in review. S. Herring mentioned that the Fusion Safety Standard has been reviewed by the Committee. The results will be presented at a general meeting at PPPL on Nov 29-30. C. Wong said that Fred Silady has initiated work on the clean sheet licensing approach, specifically defining requirements for Demo. His results will be presented at the December project meeting.

Task 5A. - S. Jardin summarized his plan for upcoming work:

- Develop systems code strawmen for 5 configurations

- Provide assessment of specific physics innovations

- Identify physics R&D needs for Demo

The Engineering group recommended specific, quantified data input so engineering requirements could be formulated, including nominal values, ranges and possible improvements. The physics figure of merit has been completed and will be reported at Dec meeting.

TK Mau will work on the Low Aspect Ratio device current drive efficiency but is awaiting equilibrium results from C. Kessel. LANL and RPI has done some engineering assessments on the center post region that may be applicable. C. Bathke will do some preliminary systems code runs to provide insight as to areas needing clarification and improvement. D. Ehst is working on the Reverse Shear requirements in the area of bootstrap fraction and current drive efficiency vs temperature and density. He already has worked out one case at beta of 4.8. These data would be given to C. Bathke for incorporation.

Task 5B - M. Tillack reviewed the results from the splinter Engineering meeting held at UCSD. The purpose was to establish a methodology to define engineering requirements from the overall Demo mission and goals. As a strawman process, an assessment of ferritic steel was initiated.

L. El-Guebaly reported the assessment of the Li/V shield, particularly replacing the B4C with WC which may improve the shielding efficiency at a lower cost. She is working with C. Bathke to evaluate the cost effectiveness of various material combinations.

D-K Sze explained that, given current material performance data and engineering constraints, the limiting heat flux is anticipated to be in the range of 3-3.5 MW/m2. He also has examining the ability of Vanadium and SiC to meet the structural material requirements for the Demo. Coolants, including He, Li, and Flibe, are also being evaluated. Results will be presented at the December meeting.

C. Wong sent out a series of forms to elicit inputs on Critical Issues including a strawman on SiC. He also sent out for comment a suggested list of Critical Issues for the entire plant.